These family history resources and links to records available online will help you to find your Cumberland ancestors.
- Cumbria Archives
Cumbria Archives also covers Cumberland and Westmorland.
BMDs & Parish Records
- Cumberland Baptisms
Search over 129,000 baptism records.
- Cumberland Marriages
Search over 67,000 marriages.
- Cumberland Burials
Search over 67,000 burials.
- Furness Burials 1725-2005
Over 100,000 records from 45 parishes.
- Cumbria BMD
Cumbria births, marriages and deaths has over 277,000 births, 96,000 marriages and 170,000 deaths available for you to search and view for free.
The following registers are available in an online book that you can browse or search.
- Crosby-on-Eden Marriages 1665-1837
- Gosforth Marriages 1571-1837
- Harrington Marriages 1652-1837
- Moresby Marriages 1676-1812
- Moresby Marriages 1813-1837
- Skelton Parish Registers 1580-1812
- Stanwix Marriages 1662-1837
- Workington Marriages 1670-1812
- Workington Marriages 1813-1837
Cemetery & Burial Records
- Cumberland Gravestone Images
Records from 16 locations around the county.
- Caldbeck Monumental Inscriptions
A PDF document with records from St. Kentigern’s church and churchyard.
- Census 1841-1921
Search the census records from 1841-1921, plus the 1939 Register all at once.
Has a good, but not complete, selection of free records to search and view.
- Cumberland Electoral Registers 1910-1932
There are over 495,000 records in this collection of Cumberland people who were eligible to vote.
- Cumberland Genealogy Forum
The forum can help you connect with others researching their Cumberland ancestors.
- Visitations of Cumberland 1615 & 1666
An online book containing Pedigrees recorded at the heralds’ visitations of the counties of Cumberland and Westmorland.
- Cumberland Historical Directories
View various directories online from the 1800s and 1900s.
- Place Names of Cumberland
An alphabetical index with details of each place and some history.
- Bygone Cumberland
A book written in 1899 containing some interesting stories, including, old-time punishments, old customs, old-time home life and more.
- Cumbria Image Bank
is an extensive collection of digital images from Cumbria County Council. There are over 12,000 images from across the county dating from the mid 18th century.
- School Admission Registers 1870-1914
Search more than 112,000 records of schools in Cumberland.
- Cumbria Family History Society
The Cumbria Family History Society was founded to help members carry out their genealogy researches and our area of interest is the modern county of Cumbria, which is the old counties of Cumberland and Westmorland and a part of Northern Lancashire and North Yorkshire.The Society is a member of the Federation of Family History Societies, the North West Group of Family History Societies, the Association of Scottish Family History Societies, the Lancashire Parish Register Society, and a founder member of the Friends of Cumbria Archives.