If your ancestors came from Oxfordshire, you can use these family history, genealogy and local history records to trace them.
BMDs & Parish Records
- England BMDs
- Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds
Gives the name of the bride and groom, their parish, and the name of a bondsman, who was often a relative. Once in a while it gave other information such as age of couple, or permission to be married from the parents for someone who was underage. The index was alphabetised by grooms names for each year.
There are over 20,000 marriage bonds in the index available to download in PDF format.
- Oxfordshire Parish Records
Burials & Cemeteries
- Census 1841-1921
Search the census records from 1841-1921, plus the 1939 Register all at once.
Has a good, but not complete, selection of free records to search and view.
Criminals and Convicts
- British Military Records
- History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900
- Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
- Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII
- Oxfordshire’s Regiments
- Oxfordshire Roll of Honour
- Oxford University Roll of Service WWI
Contains the names of 14,561 members of the University who served in the armed forces.
- British Apprentices 1710-1808
- Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour
- High Sheriff of Oxfordshire
- Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire
Photos and Postcards
- Historic Oxford Images
The Picture Oxon online image library contains over 145,000 photographs, prints, drawings, and printed maps held by Oxfordshire History Centre.
- Images of Old Oxford
- Old Images of Oxfordshire
Schools and Education
Societies and Groups
- Oxfordshire Family History Society
Do you have ancestors in Oxfordshire? The OFHS has many resources for anyone researching genealogy in Oxfordshire. The online resources available include memorial inscriptions, will transcriptions and an Oxfordshire surname interests list.
The society also holds regular meetings and help desks. A membership option is available plus they have a research centre in Oxford.
- Oxfordshire Surname Interest List
The Oxfordshire Surname Interest List is aimed at family historians and genealogists who are researching names in the English county of Oxfordshire.
You can search for names and get results about the timeframe, place and how to contact the researcher. You can also add your own surname interests.
- Oxfordshire Surnames 1881
Wills and Probate
- Cumnor Wills to 1851
- Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590
- Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills
- Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857