Genealogy, family history and local history resources and records for tracing your Birmingham and Warwickshire ancestors and family tree.
- Warwickshire Record Office
See what documents and archives they have and how to access them.
BMDs and Parish Records
- Warwickshire Parish Records
- West Midlands BMD
West Midlands BMD has almost 2.5 million free records for births, marriages and deaths in three counties, including Warwickshire.
Burials & Cemeteries
- Birmingham Burials
The Birmingham Burials website has over 1,500,000 records from 12 cemeteries and crematoria in and around Birmingham, England.
You can search for burials from the following places:
- Brandwood End cemetery
- Handsworth cemetery
- Key Hill cemetery
- Kings Norton cemetery
- Lodge Hill cemetery and crematorium
- Quinton cemetery
- Sutton Coldfield cemetery
- Sutton, Coldfield crematorium
- Sutton New Hall cemetery
- Warstone Lane cemetery
- Witton cemetery
- Yardley cemetery and crematorium
Census, Land & Tax Records
- Census 1841-1921
Search the complete census records from 1841-1921. Plus the 1939 Register with over 1,400,000 records in the Warwickshire collection. Search by person or address.
Has a good, but not complete, selection of free records to search and view.
- Warwickshire Census Data
Criminals and Convicts
- Coventry Convicts 1879, 1890-1897
- Transported Warwickshire Convicts
- Warwickshire Prisoners 1801-1900
There are millions of records for those eligible to vote. The lists were created annually. The records will tell you how a person is qualified to vote; this could be residence or ownership of property.
- Birmingham History Forum
The Birmingham History Forum is an active site which has many topics for family historians and genealogists looking to research their Birmingham ancestors, local and family history.
- RootsChat Warwickshire
Historical Directories of Birmingham can add some important address and occupation information to your family history.
- Historical Directories of Birmingham
Lots of free stuff here
- White’s history & directory of Birmingham 1849
- Birmingham 120 Years Ago
A reprint of a directory from 1777 which was published in 1897 with some comparisons between the years.
- Birmingham 1818 Directory (Archived)
- Birmingham Directory 1830
A directory of Birmingham, and other places in Warwickshire, printed in 1830. It contains names, addresses and occupations.
- Midlands Historical Data
There are many directories for Birmingham available on this website. You need to pay, but it’s cheap enough.
- Domesday Book Warwickshire
- Genuki Warwickshire
- History of Birmingham Places
- Our Warwickshire
- The Origin and Growth of Birmingham
- Warwickshire Place Names
- Birmingham War Memorial Records
- Royal Warwickshire Regiment History
- Soldiers of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- Warwickshire Roll of Honour
- Inns & Taverns of Warwickshire
- Warwickshire Blacksmiths
- Warwickshire Victuallers
A free database of pub landlords and landladies from 1801 to 1828.
Photos and Postcards
Rugby School Records
Rugby school was founded in 1567 by Lawrence Sheriffe. Until very recently it was a boys school so the records contain only boys names, plus the names of the headmasters.
There are different versions of registers that cover the same years as other versions. They’re included because some contain more information about the students.
- Rugby School Register 1675-1842
- Rugby School Register 1842-1874
- Rugby School Register 1874-1904
- Rugby School Register 1675-1849
- History of Rugby School written in 1898.
Societies and Groups
- Birmingham & Midland Society
The Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry is the principal family history society for the counties of: Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
- Coventry Family History Society