Online resources and links to help you research your Inverness-shire ancestors, family history, genealogy and local history.
- Highland Archive Service
Find out what records they hold and how to view them. Based in Inverness.
- Inverness-shire Burial Index
This index includes the name, year died, age and burial ground.
- Antiquarian Notes
Historical, genealogical and social history of Inverness-shire, parish by parish.
- Burgh Court Books 1556-86
Administrative and judicial records.
- Burgh Court Books 1602-37
- Hebrides People
The website includes a searchable database, working on the system of purchasing and using credits similar to ScotlandsPeople, with information on over 22,000 emigrants who left the Outer Hebrides between 1780 and 1920, as well as other information on the Outer Hebrides and their history.
- Inverness Kirk Session Records 1661-1800
- Inverness Directory 1873-74
Contains street and alphabetical lists, professional lists and other useful information.
- Inverness Burgh Directories
Contain street, trade, official, professional and alphabetical lists.
- Antiquarian Notes
A series of papers regarding families and places in the Highlands, published in 1913.
- Early Highland Personal Names
Some information about the old Gaelic system of personal names.
- Reminiscences of Inverness
Stories of Inverness, its people and places.
- Am Baile Newspaper Index
The Am Baile Newspaper Index is a searchable database of stories and articles carried in the newspapers of the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The database contains a short summary of each article and a reference to the issue in which the article was published. The newspapers available for searching are:
- The Inverness Journal (1807 – 1849)
- The Inverness Advertiser (1849 – 1885)
- Scottish Highlander (1885 – 1898)
- InvernessCourier (1879, 1898 – 1901, 1920-1939)
- John O’Groat Journal (1836 – 1887)
- Gairm (1952 – 2002)
- Inverness Courier Index
An online book that you can search or browse the contains news from the 19th Century.