Births, Marriages, Deaths and Burials
The following Edinburgh marriage registers are online books arranged alphabetically by surname with marriage details.
- Edinburgh Register of Marriages 1595-1700
- Edinburgh Register of Marriages 1701-1750
- Edinburgh Register of Marriages 1751-1800
- Midlothian Parish Deaths and Burials 1564-2017
Burial records will display your ancestor’s final resting place. Some may provide you with the name(s) of your ancestor’s spouse or parents.
- RootsChat Midlothian
Ask a question about your Midlothian ancestors or just browse the previous posts to see info and links to help with your research.
- Edinburgh & Leith Directories
View street directories which might help you find your ancestor’s address and occupation in a particular year.
- Midlothian Roll of Honour 1914-1919
The Midlothian Roll of Honour commemorates the men and women of Midlothian who gave their lives in the First World War 1914-1919.
It records details of every casualty on First World War memorials in the Midlothian area.
Find out if your Edinburgh ancestor was an apprentice, and what trade they learned.
- Edinburgh Register of Apprentices 1583-1666
- Edinburgh Register of Apprentices 1666-1700
- Edinburgh Apprentices 1583-1800
Learn about your apprentice and master ancestors and discover details of their work and training.
Photos & Postcards
Old photos and memories of Edinburgh. See what others have collected and contributed, or add some of your own.
- Edinburgh Academy Register
A record of all those who have entered the school since its foundation in 1824 until 1914.
- Lothians Family History Society
If you have an interest in Family History or research in the counties of Midlothian, East Lothian or West Lothian, the society could be a great help.